Independent Age is a registered charity offering an information and advice service for older people, their families and carers. The advice line offers advice on social care, welfare benefits and befriending services. The charity also provides befriending services to older people in their own homes to help alleviate loneliness and social exclusion. Independent Age also campaigns for the rights of older people. We have over 1,500 volunteers and a small number of paid staff offering a range of services across the UK and Ireland:
• our advice and information service offers expert personalised support by phone and email to almost 4,000 older people and their families each year. Our advice on social care provision includes care options and assessments, finding and paying for care, funding concerns and making a complaint
• a further 25,000 older people and their families receive information and support via our range of free publications and detailed information guides
• our skilled benefits advisers provide detailed assessments and casework support for those who need it most
• our Wise Guides offer practical information and advice for over-65s on finances, staying independent and getting the most out of later life, drawn from our indepth experience of helping thousands of older people across the UK
• our befriending services offer regular face-to-face or telephone support to those who are lonely or isolated with the help of our network of volunteers. If we don’t have a volunteer available to help in your area, we will endeavour to find another organisation that can
• Our popular telephone book and discussion group, TalkTime, allows older people to enjoy a stimulating discussion with others from the comfort of their own home.