Families First Team
The Families First Team is part of the South London and Maudsley NHS Trust. The team delivers Functional Family Therapy (FFT) by working with young people and their families where the adolescent in the family presents ‘externalising behaviours’ and conduct challenges. It shifts the focus away from negative and blaming interactions on individuals, to a helpful and supportive way of building and strengthening relationships in families.
FFT has been helpful for adolescents experiencing:
- Family relational difficulties/violence
- Behaviour and emotional difficulties at school, home and in the community (present in at least two of the above)
- Antisocial behaviour, conduct disorder
- Persistent challenging behaviours such as stealing, fighting, damaging property and harming people or animals
- Where substance abuse co-exists with behavioural and relationship problems
- Breakdown in the home/relationship
- Going missing/staying out late
- Worrying sexual relationships
FFT aims to help the family to learn new and helpful ways to understand each other and develop positive family relationships which can then help with other areas of the young person’s life, such as education, employment and community engagement.