Northamptonshire Floating Support Service
Address and phone
Flat 17 Benham Court
Billing Brook Road
One to One/Groups
Service Manager: Sara Moylan
Head of Regional Operations: Steve Powter
Referrals accepted from: Northamptonshire Adult Social Care and Health Services
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (can be flexible)
About the service
The Northamptonshire Floating Support Service delivers an intermediate service of care and support for a maximum of 6 months and is funded by NHS Northamptonshire Integrated Care Board.
The service is aimed at supporting adults aged 18+ who experience mental distress who live in the area of West Northants.
The main aim of the service is to offer time-limited support to enable individuals who experience mental distress to meet their identified outcomes. This service aims to improve health and wellbeing; enable greater independence, resilience and social inclusion; and help the person to remain well in the community so that they do not require secondary mental health services.
This service is designed to be used once by individuals and then remain linked in with universal services (free services that are accessible to all people, such as libraries, community centres, Citizens Advice or Community Law) and the person’s support network, in order to help them stay well.
What support we provide
A person-centred plan is devised to enable the person who uses the service to achieve their goals.
There are seven outcomes that we work towards:
- People achieving independence in 2, 4 or 6 months
- People linked in with and using Universal Services and community opportunities
- People diverted from crisis and high-cost mental health services
- People securing and/or maintaining settled accommodation
- People securing voluntary or paid employment
- Increasing income and tackling debt
- Improving health and wellbeing
Overall, the person who uses the service will experience a dedicated and individually tailored service that will focus on achieving positive outcomes, greater independence and a fulfilling life of meaning and purpose.
The service also offers two ‘tea and talk’ sessions each week in Northampton. These are social groups for people who currently use the service, people who have previously used the service and other members of the public to access, as an aid to feeling more part of the local community. These sessions are also attended by our volunteers, who support the running of these groups – more information is available upon request.
This service supports adults aged 18+ experiencing mental distress who live in the area of West Northants (not Northampton South).
There are two referral pathways into the service:
- STEPS Team: A referral can be made via Adult Social Care. If deemed eligible, the referral is then allocated to a social worker who will be appointed to complete an initial assessment. They can offer up to six weeks of support, refer into other suitable services, or refer to us for up to six months of support.
- Health: Health professionals (secondary mental health services, primary care including care navigators, primary care liaison workers and GPs) can refer directly into the service by making an enquiry and completing a referral form. If eligible, the person who uses the service will devise a support plan with the allocated worker and can receive up to six months of support.
The support provided is regularly reviewed with the referrer during the individual’s journey with us and if eligible, a referral to Northamptonshire Adult Social Care’s Long Term Team can be made, who work alongside people over more extended periods of time.