Asian Women Lone Parents Association (AWLPA)
“Working to improve the quality of life for single Asian mothers”
The Asian Women Lone Parents Association (AWLPA) works to support Asian women who are lone parents, and their children, by providing services which enable them to improve their lives and wellbeing.
“to enable all Asian women lone parents to have all the tools and support they require in order to be full participants in society, with access to the widest range of education, health, employment, and cultural opportunities.”
- Respect for the decision of Asian women to divorce or separate without ‘blame’ being attached to them that stigmatises their choices. Belief that women experiencing domestic violence cannot be held accountable for the actions of others which are outside of their control.
- Belief that these women deserve to have opportunities for personal and emotional support.
- Belief that Asian women lone parents deserve to have educational and career development opportunities.
- Belief that Asian women lone parents deserve to be fully informed about the services, facilities, benefits and options which they are entitled to.
- Belief that these women should live as lone parents should they choose to do so, and to have dignity and self respect, as well as the respect of the intra cultural and wider community.
- To value the children of lone parent families and treat them as equal to other children.
- Mainly first generation migrants from India, Pakistan, Banglasesh, Sri Lanka and, more recently, British born second or third generation of South Asian heritage.
- Aged between 18 and 55.
- One to one support work
- Initial assessments
- Problem solving and action planning
- Information, guidance and advocacy
- Referrals and signposting to other organisations
- Connection to other women and networks
- Activities and group work
- Training and skills
- Workshops including confidence building, increasing self esteem, parenting, mental health awareness, volunteering, goal setting, positive and healthy living
- Social events
Service caters for linguistic and cultural needs and are often carried out in a variety of South Asian languages including: Bengali, Urdu, Hindi and Punjabi.
Who is this service for?
How to access
Address & Contact details
Asian Women Lone Parents Association London N7