Translate this page :

Together for Mental Wellbeing stands against racism in all its forms - read our anti-racism commitment.

Proof of Vaccination Status Required in CQC Registered Homes

The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) have amended the Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2014 so that, from 11 November 2021, all care home workers and other visiting professionals will need to prove they have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they are exempt or there is an emergency.

This applies to all of Together’s 24 hour residential services around the country and a list of these can be found at The requirement to show proof of vaccination status applies to all staff and volunteers and also includes contractors who may work in the home on a part-time or occasional basis, to deliver non-care-related services, such as maintenance, cleaning or other activities.

The full guidance can be found at ‘Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination of people working or deployed in care homes: operational guidance’but a summary of some of the key points are provided below:

Registered Persons Responsible for Checking Vaccination Status

The registered person is responsible for ensuring that everyone who enters their care home is either vaccinated or exempt and for Together services this will be the Project Manager or the Operations & Development Manager.


If someone is a resident or being admitted as a resident, they and an accompanying friend or relative will not require proof of vaccination. Together will continue to encourage people living in care homes to take up vaccination as soon as possible unless they are exempt. The regulations require prospective residents and their families visiting care homes to provide evidence of vaccination or medical exemption prior to moving in and virtual visits may be recommended.

Demonstrating Vaccination Status

Individuals that have been vaccinated by the NHS in England may demonstrate their vaccination status to the Registered Care manager on site using the NHS COVID Pass service via the following three routes:

  1. The NHS App
  2. The NHS website –
  3. The NHS COVID Pass letter

An individual’s NHS appointment card cannot be used as proof of vaccination status.

Together staff at residential services will have access to digital tools to verify vaccination information as well as printed sign in sheets.

Work Required by External Contractors Inside a Together Residential Property

Individuals carrying out maintenance or other work inside the a Together residential service building (including in communal areas) will need to show proof of vaccination or medical exemption to the Registered Care Manager. If they are not able or willing to do so, then these individuals should not attempt to carry out work within the building. Work being carried out on the external of buildings does not require any vaccination status or proof of exemption.

If urgent or an emergency repair is required at a Together residential service which presents a risk to life or continuity of care, workers are exempt from these requirements. This includes (but is not limited to):

  • Failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply
  • Dangerous electrical fault
  • Serious damage caused by fire, flood, storm or explosion
  • Burst water service
  • Serious roof leak
  • Gas leak
  • Any fault or damage in the home that makes it unsafe or insecure
  • A serious fault in a lift or staircase

Friends, relatives and essential care givers

Friends, family (who also may be unpaid carers) and essential care givers will not need to show proof of vaccination or medical exemption although our staff will still ask you to sign in when visiting the service.

Use of Data on Vaccination Status

The data that Together services collect on professional visitors and staff will only be used for the purposes of managing who can access the property and won’t be passed to any third parties.

If you have specific questions on attending a Together residential service you can refer to the Government guidance or look at how to contact the service directly prior to your visit by accessing their details from the list at