Centre for Better Health
The Centre for Better Health is a community-based charity in Hackney that supports well-being and recovery from mental ill-health. Their services include low-cost counselling, social enterprises with trainee placements and community groups.
Centre for Better Health have three social enterprise businesses: Better Health Bikes, Better Health Bakery and Better Health Products Ltd. They provide time limited trainee placements to adults recovering from mental ill health. These trainee placements consist of on the job training, peer-to-peer training, team work as well as informal learning. The aim is for individuals to gain confidence and develop new skills whilst on placement. Often these skills might be the ‘soft skills’ that people lose if they have not worked for some time. Once the placement has ended they work with trainees to identify and secure next steps in education, volunteer work or open employment. Trainee placements from outside of Hackney are usually funded by personal budget.
Centre for Better Health run three termly programmes during the year. Their termly programme timetable includes courses and groups such as:
- Creative arts and crafts: including Ceramics, Painting and Drawing as well as Plant and Herbal Craft
- Health: yoga drop in classes, Chi Kung
- Therapeutic Groups: women’s art group, Drama Therapy and Personal Development Group
- Mindfulness, Indian Head Massage
The Centre for Better Health offers a low-cost integrative counselling service that adheres to BACP guidelines. Their team of counsellors and psychotherapists offer a wide range of therapeutic approaches such as Person Centred, Gestalt, Existential, Core Process and Psychodynamic. They work with clients for an average of five months.
Sessions are available Monday to Friday from 9am- 5pm, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evening sessions are from 5pm- 8pm. Sessions take place on the same day and time each week and last for 50 minutes each. Concerns addressed include: aggression, anxiety, bereavement, depression, domestic problems, emotional difficulties, LGBT, PTSD, relationship problems, stress and work related difficulties.
- £5 per session for clients who are unemployed and receiving benefits
- £10 per session for clients who are in part time employment, self- employed, unemployed and not receiving benefits and student counsellors
- £20 per session for clients who are in full time employment and for evening sessions
Jan 2016: Due to the high demand for our services our waiting list has increased. Current waiting times for a daytime appointment are up to 4 months and around 6 months for an evening appointment. However in some cases it may take longer.