Translate this page :

Taking the stress out of finding support

Activities & Leisure Care & Support Health & Wellbeing Housing Legal & Advocacy Money Skills & Work Transport Improving Services - Have Your Say

Getting Care and Support from the Local Authority in Southwark


My mental health makes it difficult for me to look after myself. How can I get support?

If you need care and support because you find it difficult to look after yourself, the Hub and your local authority may be able to advise you and provide you with some help. If you live in Southwark, the best way to get help is to contact the Hub. We can complete a short pre-assessment to see whether we can meet your needs for Care and Support, or whether to request a Needs Assessment from your local authority.

We are a partner of Southwark Local Authority and are able to make an appointment for the Needs Assessment to take place.


What will happen if my care and support needs get assessed by the Local Authority?

The local authority will involve you throughout the assessment to identify what your needs for care and support are and how these impact on your wellbeing. They will also discuss with you how you wish to live your life and whether there are certain aims you would like to achieve but you are unable to do so because of your care and support needs.

The assessment should be carried out in a way that ensures your involvement and that takes the right amount of time to capture all of your needs. If you have a friend or family member looking after you as an unpaid carer, they can have a carer’s assessment to see if they need support to carry on their caring role.

If your Needs Assessment determines that you meet the national eligibility criteria, your local authority will have to evidence how your needs will be met.


What are the national eligibility criteria for social care and support?

The eligibility threshold for adults with needs for care and support is based on identifying how a person’s illness affects their ability to achieve specified outcomes, and how this impacts on their wellbeing.

Local authorities must consider whether a person’s needs:

  • Arise from or are related to a physical or mental impairment or illness
  • Make them unable to achieve two or more specified outcomes
  • As a result of being unable to meet these outcomes, there is likely to be a significant impact on the adult’s wellbeing

An adult’s needs are only eligible where they meet all three of these conditions.


What are the specified outcomes that will be assessed?

The assessment will measure whether your mental health affects your abilities around:

  1. Managing and maintaining nutrition, such as being able to prepare and eat food and drink
  2. Maintaining personal hygiene, such as being able to wash yourself and your clothes
  3. Managing toilet needs
  4. Being able to dress appropriately, for example during cold weather
  5. Being able to move around the home safely, including accessing the home from outside
  6. Keeping the home sufficiently clean and safe
  7. Being able to develop and maintain family or other personal relationships, in order to avoid loneliness or isolation
  8. Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  9. Being able to safely use necessary facilities or services in the local community including public transport and recreational facilities or services
  10. Carrying out any caring responsibilities, such as for a child


What happens if the Local Authority decide that I am eligible for support?

Once a Local Authority has assessed that a person has needs that meet the national eligibility criteria, it has to consider how these needs might be met. The first step might be to draw up a care and support plan, or in the case of a carer with eligible needs, a support plan.

If you have eligible needs and require adult social care support to meet them, the Local Authority will check that you normally live in their area. Social care is not free and you may have to contribute towards the cost of meeting your needs. Local Authorities will do an assessment to see if you have to contribute and how much that would be.


What happens if I am not eligible for Local Authority support?

If your needs do not meet the national eligibility criteria, the Local Authority still has to give you information and advice on what support might be available in the community to support you. The Hub can also give you information, support and signposting to other services.