New countywide mental health floating support service in Norfolk to be delivered by Together
Posted on 16, April 2014
Together has been selected by Norfolk County Council to provide mental health floating support to individuals living across the county with housing related needs.
Following a nine month process to re-commission local services, Together was awarded the contract from 27th January 2014. Since then we have been working closely with local staff, service users, the Council and the Mental Health Trust to develop the new service due to be launched in May.
Over sixty staff and up to 35 volunteers will be based in five key locations across Norfolk – Norwich, King’s Lynn, Great Yarmouth, Cawston and Attleborough – to deliver the new service to an area with an estimated population of 857,900.
The new service has been designed to offer people more flexible support and more choice about the kind of support they receive and in which settings, giving them more control over their own recovery. It aims to support people to connect with their community, use local resources and map and strengthen their informal networks of support to promote independence.
Together will offer:
- Support in a variety of community settings – whether at home, the job centre, the library or a local cafe, for example
- One-to-one and group support
- Appointments and drop-in services
- Face-to-face, telephone and on-line support (via email and Skype)
- The choice of support from both staff and peer support workers and volunteers
- Support in the evenings and at weekends in additional to regular daytime hours.
The new service will work with individuals with different levels of mental health need, and offer both immediate, short term practical support as well as longer term support to help them direct their own recovery. For example individuals can access:
- Help to find appropriate housing, and manage a tenancy
- Support to manage finances and benefits
- Access to training, volunteering and employment opportunities
- Support to understand their mental health issues and the emotions and behaviours underlying them
- Opportunities to get involved in the design and delivery of the service
- Help to build confidence and problem-solving skills
- Support to build a social life and informal support networks
There will be a focus on pro-active outreach to support individuals experiencing severe and enduring mental health problems, and complex needs (such as substance misuse issues, physical health needs and a history of offending). These people may require more intensive or longer term support. In addition, Together will offer less intensive support to people either already living in their own homes or those who are making the transition to independent living from supported housing or residential services.
To find out more and to either refer yourself or someone you are supporting, please contact the service directly:
Norfolk Floating Support Service
Suite B, Sapphire House,
Tel: 01603 485095
Mobile: 07894 595305