Equality and Diversity at Together
Together believe that the principles of an equal society underpin our person-centred, service user led approach to mental wellbeing.
We recognise that:
“An equal society protects and promotes equal, real freedom and substantive opportunity to live in the ways people value and would choose, so that everyone can flourish. An equal society recognises people’s different needs, situations and goals and removes the barriers that limit what people can do and can be”
(Equalities Review 2007).
Together is committed to compliance with relevant equality legislation, the Equality Act 2010, codes of practice and relevant best practice guidance in creating environments where:
- Unlawful discrimination, harassment or bullying are not tolerated.
- People are treated fairly and according to their needs.
- There is equality of access to all opportunities.
We will treat everyone with the same attention, courtesy, dignity and respect, regardless of age, disability, race, sex, gender identity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity status.
We aim to:
- Promote awareness and understanding of this policy and a positive approach to
- Equality and Diversity across Together.
- Overcome barriers to access so that the diversity of the communities we serve is reflected in our workforce, our volunteers and the people who use our services.
- Recruit, train and promote staff on the basis of ability and the requirements of the job.
- Monitor and measure our performance in a consistent way and use the information to review, develop and improve.
- Users of Services, staff and their representatives and trade unions will be consulted regularly about the policy, and about related action plans and strategies.
- Have clear, accessible and confidential systems in place for people to report concerns and incidents of harassment or discrimination.
- Deal with all reports and complaints of discrimination or harassment promptly and with sensitivity and take appropriate action where necessary.
- Make sure that all the policies and procedures that guide and inform our work uphold our commitment to Equality and Diversity.
This stance applies to all Together employees and anyone working for us, everyone who volunteers for Together and the people who use our services.